Many people mistakenly believe the name of the last photo (e.g. 101-4511 is 14511st pic) is the indication of the shutter count of the camera. While it might be true most of the time, those number is not accurate as the software can be modified. Finding the REAL actual actuation or shutter count from Canon G10 can be done with a bit of effort.
- First you need a PC with SD card reader. Load your SD card.
- Put an empty file called “VERS.REQ” at the root level of card. (:VERS.REQ)
- Load the card back in the G10 then start PREVIEW mode.
- Hold down the SET button and press DISPLAY (hold both buttons).
- The Firmware Version and other info is shown.
- Repeat the above step 2 or 3 more times.
- On the second or third screen, you can see “Total Shoot:” followed by a number. The number is the total number of shots by the camera.